Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Homemade Xo Sauce


I recently went to dinner at a friend's apt. She served bbq ribs with asparagus and chorizo as a side. Just as we were sitting down, she jumped up and said "I have the PERFECT condiment to go with the ribs". I couldn't believe it when she brought out the homemade XO sauce. Other than the freebie at Dim Sum Go Go (which is quite good FYI), I have never had XO sauce. I kinda always thought it was a gloppy, brown, Cantonese sauce. Well, her's was brown, but definitely not gloppy. It was actually a deep mahogany saute of dried shrimps, herbs, lemongrass, chilies, fish sauce and a million other things!

The very next day I went to ctown in search of ingredients to make my own. I love culinary challenges and this is one I am especially proud of. However, knowing that I never follow a recipe, I might never be able to make this again. Haha!

Start with finely dicing dried scallops, shrimps, bird's eye chillis, garlic, lemongrass and shallots. It helps to have a sous chef :)


Start sauteing everything together. You are gonna be doing this for a while...


Until it looks like this:


Final product:


Better than the version at Dim Sum Go Go, and much, much more affordable.

No comments: