Sunday, April 17, 2011

Crispy, Salt & Pepper Shanghainese Duck


When I was growing up, this was my favorite duck preparation - salty, peppery, steaming hot and soo sooo crispy out from the fryer!

To me this beats peking duck any day. And today this is still my favorite preparation for duck for the following reasons:
1. the duck was steamed first so majority of the oil is already gone
2. it's been marinaded in roasted szechwan peppers, five spices, black & white peppers, salt, cinnamon, clovers, garlic, ginger and scallion. If all those thing don't give it enough flavor, it was also steamed in quality sake.... mhmmmm
3. once steamed, it's left to dry for hours in order to promote extreme crispy skin
4. the residual oil is fantastic for sauteed spinach or roast potato

Now I know the traditional dish is meant to be deep fried. But I live in Manhattan with a small (actually bigger than most, but still small compared to suburban standards) kitchen and the idea of deep frying and then getting rid of the oil is a pain in the ass. Plus, why introduce more oil when my danko oven is perfectly capable of reducing even more of the oil left in the duck with a quick broil?

And to serve with it, caramelized brussel sprouts with lardons...

No comments: