Monday, April 11, 2011

Crab Season!


I love crabs!

I love carbs!

I love crabs and carbs together!

So from March to October is crab season in the east coast, when I was growing up this always the time where I would go to a pier off of Suffolk county and catch me some blue crabs! I would get up at 5am, drag my unwilling accomplice with me and spend a good 6-8 hours line-pulling in dozens of crabs. Fun! Fun! Fun!

My favorite way to enjoy them is crab two ways: 1. steam the shells with all that yummy roe for 2-3 minutes and enjoy with just a little vinegar and ginger (think the soup dumpling sauce) 2. sauteed the crabs in ginger, scallion, sake, soy sauce and sugar with rice cakes. The rice cakes absorb all the flavors of the crabs, it's freaking amazing!

Of course, I can't just stop at crabs, we need appetizers!


Marinated mushrooms in hoisin sauce


Sauteed broccoli with roasted garlic:


Braised ham hock

No comments: