Thursday, September 6, 2007

Tia Pol - Oh. My. God.

Chorizo con Chocolate
This is their signature dish. It was almost perfect; toasted banquettes with melted chocolate, covered with slightly spicy chorizo and sprinkled all over with saffron and sea salt. It was so good, we had to order a second round!

Croquetas de Jamón
ham croquettes
$4

This was my attempt at a trendy food image. Will not try that again. Notice how creamy the inside is, it's filled with cheese and little bits of salty Spanish ham. The outside was fried to a perfect crunch, yet not the least bit greasy. Someone in the kitchen had a fry thermometer.


Bocata de Loma Adobado
I know this is going to be hard to believe, but it actually tasted better than it looked. And it already looked amazing! The tetilla cheese, the pepper, the pork all worked together perfectly! Tia Pol had great bread. Crusty, chewy, WARM! Everything bread should be but seldomly ever pulled together in most restaurants. I would happily eat that sandwich everyday, and for only $9, I could!


Navajas y Almejas

Since the friend I went with is such a meat-a-vore, I wasn't allowed to order any non-meat dishes. I was able to sneak in this little clam dish tho. How can you not order seafood (especially clams) cooked with garlic and white wine? That would just be moronic. And yes, it was great.

Assorted meat Croquettes
$9 (not positive)

That was the only disappointment of the night. The sauce was decent, made up of cream and herbs, can't really go wrong there. The croquettes on the other hand were bland and basically tasted like they came out of Applebee's.

Beef Short Ribs
$15

It is really rare for me to leave a meal and not be able to decide what was the best dish. But this one ranked right up there. First of all, beef? What's not to love? And this was a great piece of beef, flavorful, tender, juicy and the sauce? FABULOUS! It confirmed for me yet again that the best pieces of the meat are the ones close to the bone. And btw, the meat came off the bone with just a little help from my butter knife.



Pinchos Morunos

1 comment:

Francis Holland said...

If I send you some pre-paid FEDEX envelopes, will you send me some food from everywhere you go? You like all my favorite foods, like muscles and other seafood. I live on the coast of Brazil, so I can certainly relate to Portuguese and Brazilian meals of the kind you show here.

I showed the above photographs to my daughter and she didn't like them, which is all the more reason to leave her home when I go out to good restaurants and pay big money for haute cuisine. She mostly likes rice and beans, farofa and spaghetti, and leaves the rest of the dishes alone.